It took me some time to dig into it but finally managed to migrate. Serendipity is a nice blog platform that served me well for 10 years. But I couldn’t find a theme that would suite my needs and be responsive. So I decided to move. Here are the steps I took:
- Download the WordPress version 4.1 from 2014 from https://wordpress.org/download/releases/. This might not be necessary but I did it just in case since the migration code I found was from 2012.
- Install WordPress.
- Head to the s9y-to-wp plugin page on github to check the instructions. I did not follow them by the word as they are written for an even older version of WordPress.
- In phpMyAdmin or in CLI run this SQL:
DELETE FROM wp_terms WHERE wp_terms.term_id!=1;
- I ssh-ed to my server to copy the plugin:
$ cd /var/www/wp/wp-content/plugins
$ mkdir serendipity
$ cd serendipity
$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ShakataGaNai/s9y-to-wp/master/serendipity.php
- In WordPress Dashboard go to Plugins -> Installed plugins